Do you have strong opinions on tennis issues? E-Mail Paul directly to share your thoughts.
Tennis Player Quotes:
John McEnroe Quotes
( Photo credit: Art Seitz ©2009 )
November 1, 2006: "I know people argue that the top women have easier matches in the same week, their matches don't last as long, and therefore they don't deserve to own as much. I would probably have said the same thing when I was playing, but that isn't the point. I went to see the movie, King Kong, it was too long, [so] being long didn't make it better. So I don't believe the argument about the matches being longer is relevant."
- John McEnroe, three-time Wimbledon champion, telling GQ magazine that he rejects the All England Club's argument that women do not deserve parity because they only play the best-of-three sets while the men play best-of-five.September 11, 2006: "The way Roger moves, he's a ballet dancer out there. He floats above the court. His style is the most beautiful I've seen."
- John McEnroe,1980s champion and now a TV analyst, with high praise for Roger Federer, in Time magazine.June 1, 2005: "Not since the days of Boris Becker have I seen such intimidation on a tennis court. Rafael Nadal is on clay what the German phenomenon was on grass.
John McEnroe, 1980s superstar and now an NBC-TV analyst, after the Spanish teen easily beat Richard Gasquet at the French Open, in his column in The Telegraph (UK)December 13, 2004:: "It goes back to the days when I was a kid and we called out our own lines. I was taught if there's a doubt, don't call it in, if there's not a doubt call it out."
-- John McEnroe, 45 and competing on the Delta Tour of Champions, with an implausible rationale when asked about his ethos on questioning calls during his tumultuous career.September 27, 2004: "He's the most gifted player that I've ever seen in my life. I've seen a lot of people play. I've seen the [Rod] Lavers -- I go back a bit -- I played against some of the great players -- the Samprases, Beckers, Connors, Borg. You name it. This guy could be the greatest of all-time. "
-- John McEnroe, seven-time Grand Slam champion and now a TV analyst, praising Roger Federer.2004: "Princess Diana, she used to come watch the tennis [at Wimbledon]. And even though she had it 1,000 times worse than I ever did, she pulled me aside a few times and said, 'I really feel for you.' "
1992: "My basic problem was that I would get all tripped out by the negatives-bad calls, bad days, bad feelings-and anger got to be a habit. I was like a compulsive gambler or an alcoholic. Anger became a powerful habit."
- McEnroe in a late-career interview in Tennis magazine
1984: "Over 1,000 officials to choose from and I get a moron like you."
- McEnroe with a tirade against the chair umpire during the 1984 Queen's Club tournament.
1983: "You'll be sorry you hit me, you fucking Communist asshole."
- McEnroe after being hit in the side by a ball struck by his Czech opponent, Tomas Smid
1979: "My greatest strength is that I have no weaknesses."
Current Quotes 2015
Jan - December 2014 archives
Jan - December 2013 archives
Jan - December 2012 archives
Jan - December 2011 archives
Jan - December 2010 archives
Jan - December 2009 archives
Jan - December 2008 archives
July - December 2007 archives
January - June 2007 archives
June - December 2006 archives
January - June 2006 archives
October - December 2005 archives
June - September 2005 archives
March - May 2005 archives
Nov 04- February 2005 archives
August - October 2004 archives
Read quotes by
The Men's Tour
The Women's Tour